For more than 100 years, The University of Western Australia has had the objective ‘to advance the welfare and prosperity of the people’ through educational and research activities – a statement first defined with the foundation of the University by the University of Western Australia Act 1911.
To provide world-class education, research and community engagement for the advancement of the prosperity and welfare of our communities.
We aspire to be recognised as one of the world's top 50 universities by 2050.
We value respect, passion, excellence, integrity and diversity and remain committed to:
- a culture of high performance and continuous improvement, designed to achieve international excellence
- academic freedom to encourage staff and students to engage in the open exchange of ideas and thought
- equity and merit as the fundamental principles for the achievement of the full potential of all staff and students
- fostering the values of openness, honesty, tolerance, trust and responsibility in social, moral and academic matters
- the achievement of Aboriginal peoples’ rights, aspirations and potential, and the recognition of Indigenous knowledge, culture and values
- sustainability in environmental, economic and social dimensions
The UWA 2020 Vision defines our strategic objectives across three pillars:
Education — UWA will be recognised as a global leader in university education:
- teaching practices will be designed to engage, challenge and transform students throughout their degree
- students will be provided with a variety of learning experiences that connect them to the local, global, research and professional communities
- we will offer a supportive, collaborative learning environment with a vibrant student experience
- students will graduate with the attributes that support diverse career success as they contribute to an ever-changing world
Research — UWA will deliver an international research agenda of relevance to the communities we serve:
- problem-oriented multidisciplinary teams will focus on areas relevant to our strengths, assets, geography and partners to solve global challenges
- our funding base will be diversified and our culture high-performing
- scholarship resources will be built to support world-class research training
Community and global engagement — UWA will contribute intellectually, culturally and socially to our communities locally, nationally and internationally:
- broadening our international brand and reputation as a leading global university by communicating our successes and demonstrating our impact to the communities we serve
- connecting and partnering with industry locally and internationally to collaborate towards a better future
- recognising and engaging with Indigenous people as the traditional custodians of the land
During 2018, a detailed program of consultation and analysis was undertaken to develop a refreshed view of the future and how UWA can best be positioned to continue to benefit the community. This will result in a new vision (UWA2030) and strategic plan to be launched in 2019. This renewed strategy builds on the transformation that was implemented in 2017.